Newest Posts by Olaf:

Life-Cycle Assessment of StackHR

Alongside my experimental testing of the StackHR concept for my masters thesis, my buddy (and fellow postgraduate engineering student) Nikolaj Vendelbo and I have been working on a LCA study investigating the sustainability of the concept for quite a while now.

Today we presented our findings for our class on Sustainable Design and Production at Aarhus University, and apparently we must have done quite well as we got some great feedback from both of the professors attending the presentation.

For our study we investigated the sustainability of the StackHR concept through a comparative LCA where we benchmarked the proposed system against both traditional natural ventilation systems and State-of-the-Art mechanical ventilation systems featuring high efficiency heat recovery.
We did so by evaluating the total environmental impact of the systems in terms of greenhouse warming potential (as well as other relevant impact factors) over the full expected lifetime of a building. Doing so obviousl…

Sensirion SDP810 Differential Pressure Sensor Code for Arduino

Lately I have been working a lot on a control system to emulate stack effect for use in the experimental setup I'm constructing. For the control system I'm using some small but extremely accurate and fast responding digital pressure differential sensors manufactured by Sensirion. The sensors are called SDP-810-125Pa, and while I've found two Arduino libraries intended for communication with these sensors, neither worked for what I'm doing, as I need to run the sensors in "continuous mode". I've therefore resorted to just communicating directly with the sensors over I2C using the build-in Arduino Wire.h library. This has turned out to not be too difficult (I managed it after all), and the Arduino code can still be kept pretty compact. I'm sharing the basic code below for anybody else using these sensors with Arduino MCU's. Also I've been in contact with a software developer at Sensirion who has told me that he is working on expanding their ardu…

Construction has begun

Besides calculating and coding the best I've learned, actual construction of the test setup has now also begun. Luckily I have a dad with experience from the trades willing to lend me a hand.

More materials coming in

I just picked up the ductwork and plywood I'll use to construct the experimental setup. In this regard I would like to thank Lindab A/S in Viby Denmark for donating high quality duct and fittings for the project, this stuff is a pleasure to work with.

Lab space with an ocean view

It has proven a lot more difficult to find a suitable lab space at the Engineering Departments facilities in Aarhus then I anticipated. The first floor where most labs are located has no operable windows and temporarily replacing glazing with plywood will apparently make me unpopular with both facility management, insurance companies, and the fire marshal. After a long day of meetings it looks like I'll be able to set up the experiment in the lighting lab on the roof however, so I'll get to enjoy a great view of the Aarhus bay as I work on the project!

Incoming electronic parts for lab testing

It's been a while since my last blog post as I've been enjoying a nice hiking vacation in Iceland. While I've been gone the last few electronic components I needed for the initial test setup have shown up in my mailbox, so you can expect some updates from the lab in the near future. I've also reached out to some of the authors I cite in my literature survey, and all the authors that I have heard back from have granted me permission to publish the literature survey featuring figures from their original publications here on this website. Once I have time I will therefore recompile the literature survey with these figures and upload it here. In many cases talking to these other authors of noteworthy publications within the field has also lead to some very interesting discussions that have reassured me that we are really onto something with this project. Stay tuned!